Dueling Dhows

Dueling Dhows
for Mark, Sarah, and Michael

Thursday, July 12, 2018

Odd & Ends (white Dhow)


July 12, 2018


This evening's session was one of finishing odds and ends...getting closer to the finished product.  I began by applying a layer of protective tape to the transom, down the centerline, and then laying out that centerline in order to establish a reference line to locate the rudder post hardware.



I placed the hardware and then traced around the bottom and top brackets, and also marked the fastener holes.  I drilled the fastener holes (#10/24 silicone bronze machine screws), and countersunk the surface to accept a sealing amount of polysulfide.



With the polysulfide applied, I began to mount the rudder post and brackets.  Beginning with the top bracket, I secured the lower machine screw and proceeded to secure the other two machine screws.



With the top bracket secured, I inserted the rudder post into the top bracket and then mounted the lower bracket, again using #10/24 silicone bronze machine screws with washers and nuts backing them.



With the rudder post hardware mounted, I turned my attention to trimming the outboard gunwales.  I sanded them to remove the harsh edges, and then proceeded to oil the gunwales.  I mounted protective tape inside and outside, and then applied a liberal application of boiled linseed oil to the gunwales.  With an application on the white Dhow, I then moved over for another application to the blue Dhow.  After completing a second application on the blue Dhow, I then moved back over for another application on the white Dhow.  Applying a layer of protective oil to the wood will be a seasonal maintenance item for Mark and Sarah...and in a few years, a summer job for Michael!

I completed the hardware installation on the white Dhow with the bronze stern knees and the mainsheet traveler - a stainless wire secured between the stern knees.



Back in the shop, I mounted the mainsheet block on the boom of the white Dhow - the fasteners that I had ordered especially for this task arrived today.



I vacuumed out the interior of the hull (having sanded the interior, including the db trunk), and wiped it down with a rag dampened with solvent.  With that complete, I poured a bit of finish paint into a cup and proceeded to apply the final coat of paint onto the white Dhow's db trunk and hull.



The paint is complete on both Dhows, and so tomorrow I will begin to secure the daggerboard trunk braces, both for the white and blue Dhows.



The forward seat on the white still requires a large holes drilled through it...another job that awaits my Friday evening.



The final task for the day was to mount the bow's lifting ring / painter ring on the white Dhow - silicone bronze machine screws secured with nuts on the interior.


Total Time Today: 3.25 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment