Dueling Dhows

Dueling Dhows
for Mark, Sarah, and Michael

Sunday, June 10, 2018

Dry-fitting Gunwales (blue Dhow), Floatation Foam, and Seating Assembly


June 10, 2018


With the topsides paint finished on the blue Dhow, I was eager to get the gunwales at least in place as a dry-fit, and with some trimming of the aft inboard section, I secured the pieces in place (roughly).  The top of the gunwales on the inboard side will require some work to bring down to the sheer line since they are proud of the laminate sheer, but for the most part the gunwales fit well.  Fasteners are on order - #10 wood screws with cup washers.



I reinstalled the floatation foam on the white Dhow (the foam I had used as a template for the blue Dhow).



I then trimmed the aft and outboard sides of the newly glued-up foam panels for the blue Dhow.  I then notched a recess in the upper most panel of the floatation foam to allow for a cleat to be installed.  The cleat will be used to accept screws for the "false bulkhead" that helps to secure the foam.



I also chose to prep for the installation of the daggerboard trunk.  I sanded an area around the opening with the RO sander and 80-grit discs; the daggerboard trunks will be epoxied into this position, with 1708 biaxial cloth tabbed to further support the installation.



I repeated the work on the white Dhow...



As the final to-do on today's list, I assembled the mid-ships and forward seating for both the white and the blue Dhows.  I was able to get a few things done on the project today, but truth told, I could just not find a groove.  The work was bouncing around and unfocused.  Day of rest, right!? 


Total Time Today: 4 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment