Dueling Dhows

Dueling Dhows
for Mark, Sarah, and Michael

Thursday, May 24, 2018

Varnish Work & False Bulkhead (blue Dhow)


May 24, 2018


I began the evening's work with lightly sanding the initial penetrating coat of varnish on the white Dhow's aft seat and backrest. With a vacuuming and wipe down with solvent, I applied a second coat of Epifanes clear varnish, thinned by ~15% - pictured below.



I then turned my attention to the prepping for the blue Dhow's false bulkhead - I call it "false" since it is not structural, and really just meant to capture the flotation foam under the aft seat.  I placed the white Dhow's false bulkhead in position on the blue Dhow to see if I could use it as a template to fabricate a new one.  Yes, it fit!  While I was here, I trimmed the aft seat support back in order for the false bulkhead to sit recessed by approximately one inch.



Back in the shop, I laid the white Dhow's false bulkhead onto a 1/4" sheet of panel product, traced the outline and prepared to cut it out.



With a jigsaw, I removed the new false bulkhead to be installed on the blue Dhow.  I cleaned and sanded the edges with 40-grit paper and then with 80-grit paper.



Because I will be painting the false bulkheads, I took the time to paint neat epoxy over the bulkhead to seal it from future water ingress.  I will eventually sand this epoxy application, and then paint both false bulkheads with the TotalBoat TotalBilge product.


Total Time Today: 1.5 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment