Dueling Dhows

Dueling Dhows
for Mark, Sarah, and Michael

Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Varnish & Epoxy Work

May 2, 2018


Tonight was a bit of varnish and epoxy work.  So to that end, I water-washed yesterday evening's epoxy application on the DB trunks - now cured.  I dried the trunks off and then sanded with 80-grit paper.  I set the DB trunks to the side, and continued to sand the varnished DB trunk supports, skegs, and the seats for the blue Dhow.  With all of the pieces sanded, I then vacuumed the surfaces and cleaned them with a rag dampened with solvent.

First up were the DB trunks...I applied neat epoxy to the one side which completed the two coats on all surfaces of the DB trunks.  Installation and paint would come next for the trunks.



For the balance of the Dhow brightwork, I applied a second coat of Epifanes clear varnish, thinned by 5 to 10%.



I will apply at least another three coats on the various brightwork pieces for both Dhows.



Total Time Today: 1.25 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment