Dueling Dhows

Dueling Dhows
for Mark, Sarah, and Michael

Monday, May 14, 2018

Backrest Install & First Coat Interior Paint (blue Dhow)


May 13, 2018


With other work looming in the afternoon, I got to work on the installation of the backrest.  With the board already templated and dimensioned to fit snugly, I wiped the board and fiberglass down with solvent and applied a protective tape line around the perimeter to prep for epoxy.  Next, I applied neat epoxy to the back of the board and the fiberglass.  The wetting out of the board was to prevent "starving" the glue up, since the very dry material would certainly pull a lot of the epoxy into its grain.  With all surfaces wet out, I mixed some thickened epoxy and liberally spread across the fiberglass surface.  I clamped the board in place.




While I was working with epoxy, I went ahead and applied a backing plate for the lower rudder hardware.  I sealed all sides of the backing plate and then placed it into position with a decent layer of epoxy thickened with 403 microfibers.


To finish out the session, I applied a coat of TotalBoat TotalBilge epoxy paint.  I prepped the surface by vacuuming it, and then wiping it down with solvent.  



I applied the paint with a foam roller.



Total Time Today: 2.5 hrs


No comments:

Post a Comment