Dueling Dhows

Dueling Dhows
for Mark, Sarah, and Michael

Sunday, July 15, 2018

Gunwale Repair & Bottom Paint


July 15, 2018


I began this morning with completion of the gunwale repair I began yesterday.  I used a forstner bit to drill out the gouge in the gunwale in order to fill it with a bung of like material -white oak.  I set the bung yesterday with a touch of epoxy, and not it was time to remove the excess bung material.  I used a flat saw to remove the portion standing proud.



With a bit of hand-sanding with fine grit paper, I faired the gunwale.  I cleaned up the sanding residue and then treated the repair with boiled linseed oil as I had done on the whole of the gunwales.



Turning to the bottom paint, I began by removing a portion of the tape protecting the skeg and hull from yesterday's epoxy work.  Carefully, I sanded the edge of the tape line, and then came back in and sanded the field of the bottom.



I used 80-grit paper for the field and 150-grit for the tape line.  I vacuumed the surfaces of the Dhows and then wiped them down with a solvent.  I completed the prep work by adding a few sections of tape here and there.



Using Pettit SR-40 Dual Biocide (red), I applied two coats on each of the Dhows.  I removed the tape roughly a half-hour after I had completed the second coats.



I then came back and removed the tape around the skegs - white Dhow below...



...and the blue Dhow.



I thought I would be able to flip the Dhows back onto their hulls, but alas the bottom paint was yet too soft.  I scraped the plan of completing the Dhows today, knowing that I could easily wrap things up by mid-week.  I finished the day by doing some chores around the house, as well as preparing the trailer by replacing the safety chains, and then building a platform for one of the Dhows to ride on top of.  Nearly there!

Total Time Today: 2 hrs







No comments:

Post a Comment