Dueling Dhows

Dueling Dhows
for Mark, Sarah, and Michael

Saturday, May 5, 2018

Steam-Beanding Gunwales (Attempted), Varnish Work & Aft Seat Removal


May 5, 2018


My goal today was to get the first gunwale steam-bent onto the jig (yet to be constructed), so I got straight to taking measurements off of the blue Dhow...



...and using the old gunwale from the blue Dhow to construct the jig.  I incorporated the sheer line on the bow as well - gently rising from amidships.



With the jig constructed, I moved into creating a scarfing jig for the gunwales.  The material that I have is just short of 12', so the aft portion of the gunwale will need a scarfed joint to run all the way aft.



With the scarfing jig finished, I selected the inboard gunwale for the blue Dhow and prepared to cut the scarfs.



I set the depth of the circular saw to just make it through the dimension of the white oak gunwale material.  The scarfing jig worked great.



I placed one of the four scarfed gunwales into the "steam box",  



and laid out the other three on the lawn.



I capped the end of the steam box and returned to the shop to varnish the brightwork.



I sanded all pieces with 220-grit paper, vacuumed and wiped them down with solvent.  I used a foam brush to apply a final coat (5th coat) of the Epifanes clear varnish.



With the brightwork complete for the day, I grabbed a quick bite and finished in time to remove the steaming gunwale.  I placed it on the jig and began to pull the port and starboard end onto the form.  I was nearly there when, SNAP!  Discouraged to say the least, I loaded the steam box yet again for another attempt.



Whilst the 2 hours ticked away, I spent the time removing the very rotted and damaged aft seating and backrest.  I applied an oscillating tool to the fiberglass tabs below the seat, removed three copper nails securing the seat to the underside of the backrest, and then removed the seat itself.  Using a laminate router, I worked the backrest in two passes.  The remaining 1/16th of material was removed with an angle grinder outfitted with a 40-grit flap disc.  I smoothed over the old tabbing and rough surfaces in the corners.  With some sanding on the RO sander, the aft portion of the blue Dhow will be ready for rebuilding.  I'll begin templating the new seat and backrest tomorrow.



The time had come to remove the second attempt, and I did so, walking it straight over to the bending jig.  Again, the 5/8" thick material could not take the bend.  The only two things I can think of are, 1. The grain orientation is wrong for the bend I am going for, or 2. my wallpaper steaming box just just get hot enough temps for good penetration through the wood.  

With work, work travel, personal travel, a new investment property to work on, and a looming completion date, I think I am opting for Dyer's gunwale kit.  This will leave me the balance of time to focus on fabricating the brightwork, working on the sailing rigs, and painting the Dhows.

Total Time Today: 10 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment